Table of Contents
Updated by Mitchell Paul-Soumis
Adding a Service to an account actively lets you charge and invoice customers within Sonar. Whether you're adding recurring services or sets of One-Time transactions, almost all billable activity relies on Services.
Before adding Services to an account, there are a few prerequisite pieces to the puzzle. First, you'll need to have Services created, which is detailed within the Services: Overview article. Next, you'll need to have accounts created, which is covered in the Creating a New Account article.
Adding the Services
Adding Services is a straightforward process, simply follow these steps:
- Access the Accounts Page, click on the name of the account, then select "Manage" from the sidebar:
Accessing the account though the search barYou can also open an account by using the Global Search tool, accessible at the top of every page, or by double-tapping the SHIFT key. Once open, type in the Account Name or Account ID and click the Globe Icon:
- This will bring you to the Account Management View. From the, click on the Billing Tab, then the "Services & Packages" pill:
- If there are any Services already on the account, they'll be displayed here. Using either the centrally located "Add Service" button, which only appears if there are no services on the account, or the button in the top-left, we can open the Create Account Service modal:
- With the modal open, select your service from the dropdown and fill in all required fields:
Account Service fields breakdownᶜʳᵉᵃᵗᵉ ˢᵉʳᵛᶦᶜᵉ ᵐᵒᵈᵃˡ
1. The Service Dropdown will allow you to select context-appropriate services, in this case, it will display Data Services, Expiring Services, Recurring Services, and Voice Services.
2. The Quantity Field allows you to add multiple of the same service to the account. This is useful for some recurring services, such as Domain Renewals.
3. The Price Override allows you to set a custom price for the Service being added to the account.
4. The Price Override Field Reason allows you to include notes on why the price is being overridden. This field will appear regardless of if a Price Override is provided, but it is not a required field.
5. The Name Override field allows you to provide a unique name for this service, which will appear on invoices and on the transactions list.
6. The Proration and Proration Date fields allow you to adjust the cost of the service when it's added to the account, based on the progress through the Billing Period.
- Once you click "Create", the Service will be applied to the account:
Services added in this way are billed and invoiced on a monthly basis, in line with the configuration of the account's billing settings.
One-Time & Adjustment Services
While the previous section demonstrated how you can add any Data, Expiring, Recurring, or Voice services to an account, this section will provide examples of adding One-Time Services/Transactions, and show where Adjustment Services would be added.
From any account management view, follow the below steps:
- Click on the Billing tab, followed by the "Transactions" pill:
- Using the highlighted buttons, you'll be able to manage your One-Time Transactions or Adjustments.
- The One-Time Transactions menu allows you to add any service available to this account, limited by Account Group, Account Type, or the Company, to the account. This is the only way you're able to add One Time services created in your instance.
- The Adjustment menu allows you to make use of the created Adjustment Services in your instance. Using Adjustments will contribute towards any caps or limitations you've set when creating the Service.
Services added as an Adjustment or One-time transaction will be billed immediately, but invoiced in line with the account's billing settings.
The last type of service that can be added to a customer account is an Overage service.
Overage Services get applied in two ways:
- Automatically as part of the Usage Based Billing policy, when the customer surpasses the allocated usage.
- Manually, as part of a Data Top OffData Usage Top-Offs can only be added if the "Allow purchase of additional capacity during billing period" option is enabled during Usage Based Billing Policy creation:
- From any Account Management View, as long as the Account's service has a Usage Based Billing policy enabled, go to the Billing Tab, then the Transactions pill:
- Using the "Data Top Off" button located above the Transactions pane, we can apply one or multiple instances of the Overage Service:
- Highlighted, you can see which Overage service is being used, dependent on the Usage Based Billing Policy:
Data Usage Top-Offs will be billed immediately, but will only be invoiced in line with the account's billing settings.