Table of Contents
Updated by Mitchell Paul-Soumis
Inventory Model Categories
Sonar users can categorize their inventory in whichever way makes sense based on their business model. In the below example, the customer has categorized items according to their high volume hardware, and have included a category for miscellaneous items called Other.
To add a category follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, Inventory and then Categories.
- Click Create and enter the name of the Category you are trying to add (i.e. Non-CPE)
Inventory Model Manufacturers
The Manufacturer section allows the configuration of device manufacturers, further increasing the precision of categorization for hardware devices. Similar to Inventory Model Categories, the Manufacturers category is freeform, however, it should represent the hardware manufacturers for the equipment being used.
To add manufacturers into Sonar, click on Settings, Inventory and then Manufacturers:
An Assignee in Sonar is an entity that may have inventory items assigned to it. An assignee can be a person, a place, a vehicle or a generic placeholder. Contrary to specific Assignees, generic assignees need only be given a name prior to creation and would be best used when the assignee does not fit into one of the other specific Inventory Assignees - such as itemized buckets, contractors who don't have access to the instance as users, and non-addressed locations.
Generic Inventory Assignees
To create an Assignee, go to Settings, Inventory and then click on Generic Inventory Assignees:
- On the top right hand corner, click "Create"
- Enter the name of the Assignee your company would like to have (repeat the same steps to enter more Assignees)
- Click "Create"
In this example, an Installer Assignee was created to assign equipment to Installers.
Inventory locations cover address specific locations, used primarily for Network Sites or Storage sites. The inventory locations require the same address validation as any other proper address within Sonar. Provide the street address and hit validate and the maps integration will add the latitude and longitude for you.
Additionally, you can create internal locations within each Inventory location allowing further precision when adding locations and tracking inventory.
To create inventory locations click on Settings, Inventory and then Inventory Locations:
- Click "Create" and fill out the Inventory Locations form including:
- Name of location
- Address Line
- Country, City, State/Province, and Zip/Postal Code
- Click Validate Address
The Vehicles section allows the creation of tracked vehicles for use with mapping as well as inventory assignment. Vehicles can optionally have their make, model, year, and VIN added.
To add a vehicle as an Assignee follow the steps below:
- Click on Settings, Inventory, Vehicles and fill out the information including:
- Name - enter a generic name such as Installation Truck or Company Truck
- Manufacturer (in the example below we are using a Ford
- Model - F150
- Click "Create"
Assignee Best Practices
Below are some best practices around utilizing the various assignee types. These tips will help enable users to take advantage of the power behind the inventory control module.
- A Custom assignee is a catch-all assignee that can be used when the assignee does not fit into one of the other five options.
- If you have installers or service technicians that share work vehicles, then assigning inventory to a Vehicle is a better option than assigning it to a user, as the inventory in the vehicle probably does not change depending on who is driving it. If your field technicians have specific vehicles, you may be better off assigning the inventory directly to a User, but it is mostly a matter of preference.