Table of Contents
Updated by Mitchell Paul-Soumis
Read Time: 4 mins
Backing up your Sonar instance
Sonar does not support recoverable backups of your instance data, however we allow you to export a copy of all data contained in your instance. These data exports include your customer data, notes made on accounts, settings, user data, etc. While the data can be exported for use with other applications, there's no way to import prior data into Sonar.
What is a Data Export
When your data is backed up in Sonar, we use a process called Data Exports. These Data Exports are designed to save the information stored on an instance in a format which will allow you to use this data for other purposes, or with other services. Data Export configuration is managed from Settings > Data Exports
Below we'll review the information contained on this page, and what each section allows you to do.
Data Exports dashboard overview
- The Create Data Exports button allows you to manually initiate a data export which will be stored on the instance, available for download on demand
- The Automatic Exports toggle allows you to tell your instance that you would like it to make backups of your data every night at midnight UTC
- The Upload Automatic Exports toggle allows you to tell the instance to send the backups to your configured storage (see step #5)
- The Maximum exports value allows you to set the maximum number of exports preserved on your instance. Any more than this set value will be removed to make room.If you're using configured storage, this maximum limit will also apply to those locations
- The Configured Storage section allows you to add an off-instance location for your exports to be duplicated to. You have the following options for providers:
- Amazon S3
- Azure Blob Storage
- Digital Ocean Spaces
- GitLab Storage
- Google Cloud Storage
- Scaleway Object Storage
- The Data Export History table will display a history of all exports stored on your instance, up to the maximum selected. This table displays the data export name, when it was created, the file name, and the file password.
Using the Data Exports tool
In this section, we'll explore using the export tool in a few different scenarios, in order to make sure we have a firm grasp on how you can back up your Sonar instance data.
Running a manual data export
One of the simplest methods of using the Data Export tool is running a manual backup. This particular process requires only entering a name of the backup.
Manually creating a backup of your instance data is a quick and easy way of being able to take the information in Sonar and move it to another platform or 3rd party software.
Using Automatic Exports
Another method of using the Data Exports in Sonar is through enabling automatic exports. The Automatic Exporting is intended for use in situations where an external application may frequently need access to the customer data hosted in Sonar.
Configuring a Storage Location
The final method of using the Data Exports feature builds on the Automatic Data Export method covered in the previous segment.
Configuring a storage location allows you to add an external destination for all backups being made, as long as the Upload Automatic Exports toggle is enabled. Once enabled, exports will be stored on both the instance and on the configured storage location(s).
Other ways Sonar backs up your data
As Sonar is hosted on Microsoft's Azure Cloud platform, the data we host is available for access across multiple distinct servers. For this reason, your data is stored redundantly, which means that even in the event of a total server or system failure, your instance's data won't be lost.